Groups allow the user to combine multiple entities into one. A group can be promoted to a view by setting
view: yes under the group definition. This will make the group available as a new tab in the frontend.
Check the Set State page from the Developer Tools and browse the Current entities: listing for all available entities.
By default, every group appears in the HOME tab. If you create a group
default_view it will REPLACE the contents of the HOME tab so you can customize the HOME tab as you wish.
# Example configuration.yaml entry group: default_view: view: yes icon: mdi:home entities: - group.kitchen - group.awesome_people - group.climate kitchen: name: Kitchen entities: - switch.kitchen_pin_3 upstairs: name: Kids icon: mdi:account-multiple view: yes entities: - input_boolean.notify_home - camera.demo_camera - device_tracker.demo_paulus - group.garden climate: name: Climate view: no entities: - sensor.bedroom_temp - sensor.porch_temp awesome_people: name: Awesome People view: no entities: - device_tracker.dad_smith - device_tracker.mom_smith
- view (Optional): If yes then the entry will be shown as a view (tab) at the top.
- name (Optional): Name of the group.
- icon (Optional): If the group is a view, this icon will show at the top in the frontend instead of the name. If the group is a view and both name and icon have been specified, the icon will appear at the top of the fronted and the name will be displayed as the mouse-over text. If it’s not a view, then the icon shows when this group is used in another group.
- control (Optional): Set value to
hidden. If hidden then the group switch will be hidden.
- entities (Required): array or comma delimited string, list of entities to group.
Example of groups shown as views in the frontend.
If all entities in a group are switches or lights then Home Assistant adds a switch at the top of the card that turns them all on/off at once. If you want to hide this switch, set
You can create views (tabs) that contain other groups.
Notice in the example below that in order to refer to the group “Living Room”, you use
group.living_room (lowercase and spaces replaced with underscores).
# Example configuration.yaml entry that shows two groups, referred to in a view group (tab) Living Room: control: hidden entities: - light.light_family_1 - binary_sensor.motion_living Bedroom: light.light_bedroom, switch.sleeping Rooms: view: yes name: Rooms entities: - group.living_room - group.bedroom