A lot WiFi access points and WiFi routers support the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP). This is a standardized method for monitoring/manageing network connected devices. SNMP uses a tree-like hierarchy where each node is an object. Many of these objects contain (live) lists of insances and metrics, like network interfaces, disks, and wifi registrations.
This device tracker needs SNMP to be enabled on the router. It could be that you need to install the SNMP support manually.
|Mikrotik||unknown RouterOS version/model||
|Mikrotik||RouterOS 6.x on RB2011||
|BiPAC||7800DXL Firmware 2.32e||
|OpenWrt||Chaos Calmer 15.05||
To use the SNMP version 1 platform in your installation, add the following to your
# Example configuration.yaml entry for SNMP version 1 device_tracker: - platform: snmp host: 192.168.1.1 community: public baseoid: 220.127.116.11.4.1.14918.104.22.168.2.1.1
If you want to use encryption, you must enable SNMP version 3 by adding
privkey variables and enabling SNMP version 3 on your router. Currently only SHA1 is supported for authentication and AES for encryption. Example of SNMPv3 configuration:
# Example configuration.yaml entry for SNMP version 3 device_tracker: - platform: snmp host: 192.168.1.1 community: username authkey: authpass privkey: privpass baseoid: 22.214.171.124.4.1.149126.96.36.199.2.1.1
- host (Required): The IP address of the router, eg. 192.168.1.1.
- community (Required): The SNMP community which is set for the device. Most devices have a default community set to to
publicwith read-only permission (which is sufficient).
- baseoid (Required): The OID prefix where wireless client registrations can be found, usually vendor specific. It’s advised to use the numerical notation. To find this base OID, check vendor documentation or check the MIB file for your device.
- authkey (Inclusive): Authentication key for SNMPv3. Variable privkey must also be set.
- privkey (Inclusive): Privacy key SNMPv3. Variable authkey must also be set.
See the device tracker component page for instructions how to configure the people to be tracked.