generic_thermostat climate platform is a thermostat implemented in Home Assistant. It uses a sensor and a switch connected to a heater under the hood. If the measured temperature is cooler then the target temperature, the heater will be turned on and turned off when required temperature is reached.
# Example configuration.yaml entry climate: - platform: generic_thermostat name: Study heater: switch.study_heater target_sensor: sensor.study_temperature
- name (Required): Name of thermostat
- heater (Required):
entity_idfor heater switch, must be a toggle device.
- target_sensor (Required):
entity_idfor a temperature sensor, target_sensor.state must be temperature.
- min_temp (Optional): Set minimum set point available (default: 7)
- max_temp (Optional): Set maximum set point available (default: 35)
- target_temp (Optional): Set initial target temperature. Failure to set this variable will result in target temperature being set to null on startup.
- ac_mode (Optional): Set the switch specified in the heater option to be treated as a cooling device instead of a heating device.
- min_cycle_duration (Optional): Set a minimum amount of time that the switch specified in the heater option must be in it’s current state prior to being switched either off or on.
- tolerance (Optional): Set a minimum amount of difference between the temperature read by the sensor specified in the target_sensor option and the target temperature that must change prior to being switched either off or on. For example, if the target temperature is 25 and the tolerance is 0.5 the heater will start when the sensor goes below 24.5 and it will stop when the sensor goes above 25.5.
- keep_alive (Optional): Set a keep-alive interval. If set, the switch specified in the heater option will be triggered every time the interval elapses. Use with heaters and A/C units that shut off if they don’t receive a signal from their remote for a while.
A full configuration example looks like the one below.
keep_alive must contain at least one of the following entries:
# Full example configuration.yaml entry climate: - platform: generic_thermostat name: Study heater: switch.study_heater target_sensor: sensor.study_temperature min_temp: 15 max_temp: 21 target_temp: 17 tolerance: 0.3 min_cycle_duration: seconds: 5 keep_alive: minutes: 3